Ministry Of Defence (National)
Hutton lets the dogs out
Defence Secretary, John Hutton has unveiled, the Army's new £350M armoured support trucks, WOLFHOUND, HUSKY and COYOTE.
The preferred bidders for each category of Tactical Support Vehicle (TSV) are:
WOLFHOUND TSV (Heavy) - Based on Cougar 6x6 flatbed made by Force Protection Industries Inc; will support and re-supply our Mastiffs in the highest threat areas. These vehicles will have the highest levels of mine blast protection
HUSKY TSV (Medium) - Based on the International MXT-MVA made by Navistar Defence; will carry out the support roles in areas where heavy vehicles, like Mastiff, cannot be used. HUSKY will come as 3 variants; utility, ambulance and command post.
COYOTE TSV (Light) - Based on a 6x6 derivative of the Jackal designed by Supacat Ltd, Devon; will support our go-anywhere, high-mobility Jackals across the harsh terrain in Afghanistan.
Secretary of State for Defence, John Hutton said:
"Our new breeds, WOLFHOUND, HUSKY and COYOTE will give the troops in Afghanistan the additional bite they need in the fight against the enemy. They do a formidable job and deserve nothing but the best. I look forward to the vehicles being on contract and arriving in the new-year."
The Tactical Support Vehicle programme will buy over 400 new armoured support trucks to accompany our existing patrols carrying the essential supplies such as water and ammunition. HUSKY, the medium armoured support truck will form the main bulk of this purchase, carrying out support roles where heavy vehicles, like Mastiff, cannot be used.
The unveiling comes hot on the heels of the recent £700M package of 700 additional vehicles to greatly improve the protection of for our troops on the frontline.
Notes to Editors:
1. The PM announced the £700M package of new protected vehicles for Afghanistan on 29 October 2008.
2. The announcement included over 400 Tactical Support Vehicles in three categories - Heavy, medium, light:
WOLFHOUND - HEAVY VITAL STATISTICS
* Based on Cougar 6x6 flatbed
* 4 man cab
* The Cougar 6x6 flatbed will form the base vehicle for Wolfhound. It will be uparmoured and integrated with UK specific equipment such as communications systems and protection measures in a similar way to Mastiff. NP Aerospace will be involved with this integration work.
* Cargo in excess of 4.5 tonnes
HUSKY - MEDIUM VITAL STATISTICS
* Based on International MXT-MVA
* 4-Man Cab
* Cargo in excess of 1.5 tonnes
COYOTE - LIGHT VITAL STATISTICS
* Based on 6x6 Jackal derivative, Supacat
* 4 man crew
* Cargo in excess of 1.5tonnes
3. Preferred bidder status for each of the vehicles is conditional upon the outcome of successful contract negotiations which will be in place early next year.
4. The contracts will also formalise arrangements with additional UK companies who will provide sub-systems for the fleet.
5. The images are of the base vehicles the final Wolfhound, Husky and Coyote may differ slightly from these images.