Monday, October 6, 2008

New Defence Ministerial team announced



New Defence Ministerial team announced

A Defence Policy and Business news article
6 Oct 08




Following the appointment on Friday, 3 October 2008, of the Rt Hon John Hutton MP as Secretary of State for Defence, further changes to the Defence Ministerial team have been confirmed.

Quentin Davies MP will become Minister for Defence Equipment and Support, with the Rt Hon Baroness Taylor of Bolton PC moving to the newly-established appointment of Minister for International Defence and Security, supporting the Defence Secretary on NATO, ESDP and international issues; she will continue to lead on defence matters in the House of Lords.

Kevan Jones MP will become Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Veterans. Bob Ainsworth will remain Minister for the Armed Forces.

Quentin Davies said:
"I am very much looking forward to my new appointment as Minister for Defence Equipment & Support. I have huge admiration for the Armed Forces and the civil servants who support them and my recent report on National Recognition for the Armed Forces gave me an excellent insight to the challenges they face. Our Armed Forces are doing an amazing job in difficult circumstances and my priority will be to do all I can to ensure they get the best possible equipment and logistic support. That task is vital. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can, both at home and in operational theatres."
"Our Armed Forces are doing an amazing job in difficult circumstances and my priority will be to do all I can to ensure they get the best possible equipment and logistic support."
Quentin Davies MP

Baroness Ann Taylor added:
"I am delighted to have been offered this new and exciting portfolio by the Prime Minister. NATO is key to the UK's security and is currently playing an essential operational role in Afghanistan and elsewhere. Its transformation and the development of European Security & Defence Policy are of immense importance. I look forward to working closely with John Hutton and colleagues in the Foreign Office as we take this work forward. I am sure that Quentin Davies will continue to ensure that our Armed Forces have the best possible equipment and support they deserve."


Kevan Jones said:
"I am very pleased to have been asked by the Prime Minister to take on the role of Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans. I have always taken a keen interest in defence issues and my work as a member of the House of Commons Defence Committee has given me a first hand insight, both at home and in Iraq and Afghanistan, into the hard work and committment of our military and civilian personnel. As Veterans Minister I am honoured to be working with and supporting our veterans community, young and old, and also the associations that work tirelessly to support them. I look forward to working with you all."

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments: